Total Pageviews

Friday 29 May 2015

Return of the Pistoleros! - Gig Review

I haven't ever reviewed a gig on here or ever really so here goes!

I have mentioned before that I work at music festivals behind the bar to raise money for my old trade union, PCS.

Last year at Glastonbury, after working at Solstice bar for a shift, my wife (pair of eyes and nose at the bottom of the picture) dragged us all next door to The Glade stage to see a band that none of us had ever heard of and she said we would love.


This is us being clearly ambivalent about Dub Pistols.
And they made the sun come out.

We were blown away. Like BOOM! Brilliant way to start our party and so easily accesible to those who haven't heard them before they even made my friend Sam (dark glasses, look totally devoid of gorm) dance and he had never before danced. Ever.

When we got home I bought their album Worshipping The Dollar and I have to say I have played that fucker TO DEATH. It is on my running playlist, my dunno what I am in the mood to listen to playlist and, well, let's be honest, every other fucking playlist I have. 

I followed Jack (Cowens, drummer) and Barry (Ashworth, musical king pin) on twitter and they were really bloody nice! They will chat when they get time and Jack, you've met me now, if you find out who nicked your equipment let me know, my offer to take their legs still stands bro.

(I met them last night when I bought a tshirt and was blown away by just how friendly they were, even if Barry was left shutting himself up about what size tshirt I should get.)

And the music?

Bassy, dancy, anthemic and fucking awesome to dance to it cannot be put into one genre. I tried. I struggled. I gave up and decided that it was just music and that was what was important, not trying to stick it in a box. 

Dub Pistols wouldn't like the box. They would stand on it to shout about partaying harder but much like Baby and corners, you shouldn't try to put them in one.

I would say imagine my excitement when I found out they were playing my favourite Bristol venue The Fleece (saw Random Hand there too. Fucking brilliant venue.) but you don't have to. 

Excited much there Deeva?
Not only did I take my daughter person but we had a bit of a Workers Beer renunion and pre Glasto warm up.

So how was it?

FUCKING. EPIC.

There is always a danger when you see a band you first saw at a festival that when you see them out of that context it will all be a bit flat. 

Not a bit of it. If anything they were even better! They opened with Bad Card (on my running playlist) and closed with Gunshot (also on my running playlist) and took us through Peaches, Mucky Weekend, Gangsters and loads more. 

Nothing flat here!


Some I didn't know as they weren't on the album that I had and the ones from the new album Return of the Pistoleros were unfamiliar but what they all had in common was that they were all proper bangers and I danced all the way through the fucking lot.

One rub a dub, two rub a dub, liccle King Tubby in a club...


And when they did Rub a Dub I nearly peed.

So, how would I rate the experience? 

Best. Gig. Ever. And I have seen Prince and Public Enemy live.

Seanie T and Barry held the crowd in their hands, it was a party among friends, comrades, Pistoleros!

They truly love playing music and their fans and it shows. It was less a gig and more what happens when your proper mint mates turn up.

I danced all night and pre ordered the new album this morning. I suggest you do the same. Trust me on this.


YES BRUVVA

Return of the Pistoleros???

They never fucking went away.