Total Pageviews

Tuesday 3 December 2013

On Judging The Shit Out Of Stuff

Mainly parents putting their kids at risk.

Let me explain. This afternoon I was outside Boots having a ciggy, waiting for Doodlebug to come out when I heard a child screaming.

This sound opens up something in me as it does most people. I mean, this child wasn't crying, we all know that babies cry, but it was screaming. Loudly. From the direction of a car.

I looked over and there were two children, one a baby in a car chair and the other about 3 years old in the back of a car. Alone.

My hackles went right up. Why the fuck would anyone do that?

I thought I would wait around to see if the parent (I wasn't automatically thinking 'mother' to my credit) would come back soon. They didn't. Not for a good ten minutes.

During that ten minutes the baby kept screaming and older child had now wound the window down and was shouting 'mummy' out of it.

I then spotted the security guard from Boots and told him and the shop worker he was stood in what was going on. 'Not again?' was the reply.

Wait, WHUT?

Oh yes, apparently people do this all the time. They leave what is supposed to be precious to them at risk.

Now, I don't like to judge people. Not on who they are, their sexuality, race, lifestyle choices, well anything really. I actually pride myself on being non judgemental.

But it seems that I have limits. And that limit was reached today.

Leave small children in a car in a car park on their own while you do your shopping? I am going to judge the fucking shit out of you.

I hate to play into paedophile hysteria and I know that human beings are most at risk in their own homes, but anything could have happened to those kids. Sometimes they do get snatched. Older child had managed to wind the window down. What if he had got out of the car and got knocked over?

Why take the risk?

I was even more furious when said parent (it was a woman in the end) came out to hear what the fuss was about as shop worker was not being discreet about her anger and security guard was on the radio summoning site security.

'They prefer to be left in the car' she said.

Fucking REALLY???????

I lost my shit.

I pointed out that her kids were screaming for her while she swanned around doing her shopping. I told her that anything could have happened to them especially while older child had the window wound down. I asked how the baby had articulated that it would prefer to be left in the car. Clever baby that.

I tried to stay calm but there may have been some shouting. Shop worker looked pleased that she was getting a telling off and security guard looked like he was ready for a fight to break out.

She seemed quite taken aback. She adopted a 'don't judge me' look. Not sorry, I am judging the hell out of you. Not for thinking that it would be easier to pop into the shop without your kids. It would. Not for looking pissed off at being caught out. Though that would be fair. But for leaving human beings, small human beings who your ONLY FUCKING JOB is to protect and keep safe to fend for themselves.

Fuck you. Fuck you and your prioritising buying wrapping paper over the safety of your children. I am always gonna judge you for that.


No comments:

Post a Comment