Total Pageviews

Saturday 12 November 2011

And The Laughter Returns

Went out for a meal and a chat with estranged hubby tonight. For him this meant getting dressed and turning up, for me it threw up all sorts of questions.

Do I wear make up? Do I get dressed up? Do my hair? What do I want my outfit to say? Do I want it to say 'look at what you're missing' or more 'we can do this, we can be civil with each other again'?

In the end I went for smart top, skinny black jeans, pirate boots, make up and hair looking gooood. I had decided I wanted my outfit to say 'fuck it, it has been an age since I went out anywhere really nice, I want to feel lovely for a change.'

So, met up with estranged hubby and things were a little strained to say the least. Those of you who know me personally know that things have been horrendous and that I have been quite ill with the stress of it all. Those of you who don't know me personally still know that it hasn't been easy lately with me and him.

So, his plan was to take me to a nice Indian restaurant and we could just spend some time together on neutral ground. So far so good. The one flaw in this plan is that he let me choose the restaurant.

I should never be allowed to choose the restaurant.

He was going to take me to a really nice one called 'Chillicha'. I thought it looked a 'bit poncey' so plumped for 'Curryland'. I should have known really.

First thing I had to do was take my glasses off as the place was so badly ventilated that they steamed up. Then we sat down. Waitress comes over and her first question wasn't 'can I get you any drinks?' but 'How was your day?' I have to say I was somewhat thrown by this and felt under pressure to say it was great. I felt I would have let her down if I had said I had spent most of it in bed with a hangover. She seemed really nice so I didn't want to disappoint her.

I went for the buffet and a large coke. Waitress said she would tell me when the buffet was ready. She went over and stirred stuff. Then came over and said it was ready. I started to giggle.

My meal then consisted of:

The stalest poppadum I have ever had. They are not supposed to be bendy! This was served with the smallest onion salad ever made and the most watered down mango chutney I have ever seen. You are not supposed to be able to drink mango chutney Curryland. You're just not!

The reddest curry ever. Not sure what it was. It tasted of nothing. Not even of red.

Korma that seemed to not have any almond in.

Madras that wasn't too bad actually if you ignored the fact that I crunched down on something that I refused to investigate for the fear it would be something dreadful. I just swallowed. This has always stood me in good stead before and it worked this time.

All this time me and estranged hubby were smiling and laughing. Giggling like idiots at the sheer ridiculousness of the whole thing. We then noticed the 'decor'. It looked as if a disinterested child had done it.



So now I really started to lose it laughing. And watching the rough and ready of Worthing stagger in clutching their own booze and saying things like 'I might go for something different tonight' before going for the buffet just made me laugh even more.

And then hubby went to the toilet. This was his face when he came back.


He doesn't always look that red by the way. It was just that hot and humid in there. Anyhoo, apparently if he had been to the loo first he wouldn't have let us eat there. When even the handwash is grubby, there is a problem.

But none of that was the point. We had a laugh. Something we hadn't done together for a good couple of years. Doubled over laughing. It felt good. You never know, there might be light at the end of the tunnel after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment