Total Pageviews

Monday 2 May 2011

I've Got A New Book!!!!

Before you think that I am being published, no, that is not what I mean. I mean that I have dragged my ass down to the local library and picked up the book that I had on order.

The staff must dread me going to the library. I turn up, that and a bit *ahem* years old, like a small child at a birthday party and literally bounce up and down on the spot while they look for what I have invariably ordered online. I engage them in conversations they don't want about how excited I am as I have either been waiting for ages/this is the last book in the series/I am reading this author on a recommendation. I bounce, they smile politely and hubbie looks embarrassed. And I don't care.

I love online ordering of books from the library. It is like an even cheaper Amazon. I pay about 50p per book and I have to wait for an email to tell me it's in. That delicious anticipation in a world of instant gratification is part of the joy for me.

Yes, I know that I don't get to keep said books, but that is kind of the point. It opens up a whole new world of literary possibilities as I don't have to play it safe with authors or titles that I know I am likely to love.

I have discovered quite a few new favourites that way. Peter Brett, Amanda Downing, KJ Parker, Naomi Novik but to name a few recent ones.

Without my local library, I would never have read the brilliant Game of Thrones series. (See previous post as to why I am Team Lannister)

But I digress. I went to the library to pick up my latest acquisition, Winterbirth by Brian Ruckley. I have never heard of him before, but it doesn't stop me being really excited all the way home. It doesn't stop me from very slowly setting up my sun lounger, gathering hat, sunglasses, drink and suncream. I settle down slowly and make myself comfortable.

Then comes the best bit. Deep inhalation of breath then I get to sit and hold the book before I open it. Feel its weight in my hands. I smell it, then exhaling slowly, read the first page.

Is it just me who loves the whole process of getting a book home to read? Maybe it is. But in this digital age of ibooks and Kindles, I think we are in danger of losing something very precious, so I hope not.

1 comment:

  1. I am the same. I LOVE books. Not just reading them but the smell of them, the feel of them and even the sound of them. How anyone can say that the Kindle is better is beyond me. It's so sterile. My dream is to have an old fashioned library, filled with all kinds of books and one of those lovely wheely ladder things. Mmmmm....

    ReplyDelete